Tuesday 27 January 2009

X Games Gold for Briton Jones

Jenny Jones, 28 from Bristol, has become the first Briton to win a medal of any colour at the annual X Games, clinching victory with the last run of the competition. Her overall score of 90.00 gave her victory by almost three points from Spencer O’Brien of Canada in second on 87.66. The invitation-only event, held in Aspen, Colorado attracts the world’s top competitors. An ecstatic Jones said: “My first run was sketchy, my second run I cleaned it up, so it looked better and I felt happy with the run but it wasn’t enough. I just had to go for it on the last run with the last jump”

“I was so pleased to win and suddenly the emotions went crazy and I had to try hard not to cry. It means so much to me to win an X Games medal and to win gold is the icing on the cake”

Britain’s other competitor, Zoe Gillings, was eliminated in the semi-final of the Snowboard Cross but withdrew from the consolation final after injuring her heel. There was encouraging news however for British skier Chemmy Alcott. Returning from injury, Alcott managed15th place in the woman’s World Cup giant slalom in Cortina.

No comments: